Setup A Blog In 5 Simple Stages

It doesn’t matter what you’re doing online, marketing, graphics, programming, I think you should always create a blog. If anything, at least to showcase your work. Which is what I’m going to talk about today!

STAGE 1 – Before you think about hosting, we need to acquire our very own domain, of which I’d go for YourName.com as I have mentioned before in another post.

In some cases it’s more appropriate to go with something else yes, sometimes a business name, even just using an existing domain!

STAGE 2 – Without any hosting, you’ll not get anywhere fast, although it’s not going to break the bank either. To start with, we just need some shared hosting. I’m sure you all know I use D9Hosting although another favourite is HostGator!

MySQL Database WizardSTAGE 3 – Now we need to go and create a MySQL Database, which stores ALL our information. So you first need to login to cPanel, or whatever your hosting service has, and make your way to MySQL Database Wizard.

You next just fill out the fields with whatever information suits best and continue onto the next screen. To which more details need filled in! On the screen after that you need to join the user to the database, before receiving a successful notice. And that’s that!

STAGE 4 – Download the latest version of WordPress from WordPress.org to your desktop (Easier to work with that way!), and extract! Using the information you used to create the database, we need to insert that into the wp-config-sample.php file!WordPress ConfigurationYou then save it as wp-config.php allowing WordPress to connect to the database!

Time now to upload all those files either to the root directory or a sub-folder such as /blog/ if you’re using an existing domain?

So using a FTP Client such as FileZilla, enter the details your host will provide, and connect! – This allows you to upload files and even download them too!

Visit the location of the files you just uploaded, and WordPress will present you with an installation screen. Enter all the required information, then click next. In fact, if there was a problem to start with, WordPress would tell you about it!

Carry on with the installation as normal, and you’ll receive some default admin login details. That’s when you know WordPress is successfully installed!

STAGE 5 – Login, and start posting to your hearts content!

And there we have it, a simple tutorial showing you how to setup a blog in 5 simple stages, I hope it helped? Keep your eyes peeled on a followup post telling you how to modify the look of your blog! :D

Random Blog Posts:

Comments

24 Responses to “Setup A Blog In 5 Simple Stages”
  1. Rod Macbeth says:

Most hosts these days have cPanel which has Fantastico and some have Simple Scripts which is better. Both automate the installation of Wordpress negating having to set-up a database.

• Know exactly what you’re saying Rod, it does however limit you in a few areas which I’m not a particular fan of!… Mainly being that you don’t use the latest up-to-date version of the script!

Next comes that fact I’m not allowed to give the database whatever name I’d like to, maybe I’m just being picky? ;)

Thanks for your comment though, it’s much appreciated!

2. David Walker says:

Hey Mark,

I am a fan of getting Wordpress installed the old fashioned, manual way as well. I simply MUST have the latest version installed at all times and I also like to be able to control what I call the databases as well.

I don’t know what’s wrong with me half the time, OCD I expect ;-)

Keep in touch.

David

• I’m glad that it’s not just me who likes doing it that way! – Something so small in a way, but thanks for dropping by and commenting! :D See you around!

3. Peter Davies says:

Hi Mark

Good information. Even though I have been in the IT industry for years, until 4 weeks ago I had never heard of Wordpress or done anything with blogs even though I knew how to set up a website so I did the cheat thing and paid someone on Rentacoder $40 to set mine up from scratch!

Needs a facelift I know but at least it works!

Take Care
    Pete

4. Michelle says:

There are a lot of bloggers on the web already. If you want to attract readers, you are going to need to establish your credibility. Don’t just blog about anything. Pick a topic you are are passionate about. Something that you have lots of experience with.

• Indeed Michelle, but like Twitter, I see a blog as another place to network with others! Discuss certain topics, build a community, along with a relationship! – Like you say, credibility! – For me I enjoy talking about WordPress, but have MANY views and opinions on other topics too, which I’ll also talk about here! ;)

5. Carol Smith says:

I would expect nothing but perfection from you, Mark, so it doesn’t surprise me that you would do this the manual way. It certainly gives you more control over your blog. WordPress is, after all, one of your areas of expertize.

For the absolute beginner would you still recommend this over Fantastico or Simple Scripts? Or would you recommend outsourcing?

Carol

• In answer to your question, yes I’d still recommend doing it this way over anything else! What happens if you had to move host for some reason, and it didn’t use cPanel or have Fantastico installed? (You’d be stuck then wouldn’t you?)

And yes I’d even recommend outsourcing the task too, although it’s something that you can learn how to do after a couple of attempts! – Some people can get an easy ROI though, which would allow them to be more productive! :D

Thanks for the question Carol, and your comment!

6. Wakas Mir says:

A very nice and simple tutorial to one of the most funky blogging softwares.. thx for sharing :)

7. Hi Mark,

I install manually as well, and so far I’ve only broken a couple and that was a while ago.
    Nowadays I usually press the right buttons :)

Thanks

Keith

8. Hi Mark,

I have to say that I’m a big fan of informational blog posts like this one. It seems that whenever I have a problem now I inevitably find the solution on a blog somewhere out there so I definitely think that this is something you should continue.

People like the people who help them.

Regards

Andy Michaels

• WOW Andy, thanks! :D You’ll definitely find more posts like this on my blog! – I tend to find some answers from other blogs too, it’s amazing what Google does with WordPress! ;) HEHE

9. Stefan says:

Thanks to WordPress it’s realy simple for anyone to start bloging and making money online even though you have no knowledge about programming and computers. Good tutorial.

10. Rob Canyon says:

Mark,

What would we do without Wordpress. I thought that fantastico was pretty much a done deal until I read your post.

Its nice to know we can do it manually if need be.

Cheers,

Rob

• Now you mention it Rob, I’m sure plenty of people don’t know that you can install WordPress manually! And I’m not sure what we’d do without it, move onto another CMS? :P

11. Timothy Owen says:

Hei from Norway Mark,

Wow!

Excellent detailed information on Wordpress and just about every other aspect of blogging and Internet Marketing Success here at your blog.

Great content and as you say “hype-free,” love it.

Keep Sharing the latest with us!

• Thanks Tim, much appreciated! – And I’ll do my best to keep posting new content up here on the blog, although you could be in for some exciting changes! ;) HEHE

12. Paul Lear says:

Hey Mark,

Nice tutorial post, you might also want to add that the easiest, and pretty much fool proof way is to use Fantastico auyo install script. Most have them these days.

That is what I used to set my blog up, I ws up and running in about 2 minutes. I tried the manual way once and something went wrong, but using Fantastico no problems at all.

It’s nice for people to know how to do it manually too though, and you’ve done a great job of laying it all out, step-by-step here.

Great job!

Paul.

13. I didn’t talk about using Fantastico for a certain reason, and that I outlined in another post! – Yes while it might be the easy way, it’s also the LESS SECURE way of installing WordPress!

Thanks for the compliments on the article though Paul, I do appreciate them, and I’m glad you found it of use! :D Speak soon!